October 4, 2009

Hi everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! The last picture in this post is my card for Monday's CAS Challenge. This week's challenge is an inspiration challenge. I chose this pillow for my inspiration.

In choosing this pillow I was trying to think of a way to mimic the pattern and this is what I came up with. I have some pictures posted below to show how I made the squares. My card was super easy and fun to make!

The first thing I did was to punch out some squares using striped pattern paper. I used my 1 1/4" square punch because I knew that I was going to layer the squares and I wanted to use my larger punch for the layering.


Once my squares were punched out I took my scissors and I cut each square on a diagonal from one corner to the next. I tried to show how I cut them in the above picture.


Now I have lots of small triangles. I arranged the triangles in the pattern that I wanted. When I was trying to arrange the triangles I discovered that for every two punched squares I had I ended up throwing one away. So in making my card I punched out six total squares in order to get the three shown on my card. Confusing, I know, but trust me it will work out.

After I had my triangles arranged the way that I wanted them I then adhered them to my colored card stock. Then using my larger square punch (1 3/8") I punched out my square.


Here's a picture of my finished squares. Next, I added a silver brad to the center of each square and then I assembled my card.



I layered my three squares on white and blue card stock. I scored a line above and below both layers just to give it some interest. My Happy Birthday sentiment is from SU's It's Your Birthday stamp set. I stamped my sentiment using silver Encore ink.



My husband says that I should have added a ribbon on my card, but I sort of thought that this could be used for a masculine birthday card, so I left the ribbon off; besides masculine cards are harder for me to make and I like to have a few on hand for when I need them.



Thanks for looking and have a great day!
Pin It

3 comments:

Gloria Dojlido said...

Very cool! Love how it turned out.

TrishG said...

I love how you did those squares!

Betty Meyskens said...

This so cool - I am going to try this. It looks like alot of fun to create. TFS.